Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Form and Function- Finding the Balance by Jon DeMoss, CSCS, USAW


    15 minutes into my first Yoga class and the bravado I walked through the door with is validated as I easily maneuver through the poses directed by the instructor.  Yoga was supposed to be a way for me to work on mobility, flexibility, and find some relaxation, but this was a little too easy.  Why does everyone around me look like they are working so hard to get into these poses?  As I start to listen to the instructor’s cues instead of just trying to mimic his movements I realize I have been doing these poses incorrect.  I am not feeling what he is describing, so after a few minor adjustments to my stance... Why is my leg quivering?  Now contracting the muscles on one leg as the other leg lengthens... How long do I have to hold this?  Bravado begins to leak out of me as quickly as the sweat pouring down my face. Lesson learned.  As I end the class in a very welcomed Child’s Pose, I think to myself, “How long have my athletes been mimicking my movement instead of fully understanding what I was trying to get them to achieve?”
     Fast forward to the present and the lesson in humility I learned 7 years ago in the yoga studio continues to serve my approach to coaching my athletes.  As strength coaches we spend a lot of time getting our athletes to look good in their movements by focusing on the alignment aspect.  Components such as maintaining correct postural alignment and having your center of mass over your base of support allows for the appropriate muscles to manipulate their respective joints as they are designed to function.  But technique is of critical importance only because it serves the function of the movement, or the assignment aspect. 
     Form dictates function and that is why I diligently teach proper technique, but coaches must remember that it is the function, and not the form, that is the ultimate end result.  When running my athletes through workouts I always think back to that day long ago in the stuffy yoga studio.  I don’t want to get into a situation where my athletes are just mimicking my movements and not reaping the full benefits of the exercise.  This becomes increasingly important in mobility and activation exercises where compensatory patterns can easily get athletes into a certain position and power them through movements.
     The method of demonstration I believe relates to movement and exercise is: “FEEL this, don’t feel that, FEEL this”.  I see it as a great way for an athlete to grasp what we are trying to get done in the weight room.  Using a simple exercise, the glute bridge, as an example all I need to cue athletes with is, “If you feel this in your low back or hamstrings, squeeze your butt tighter and don’t pee on yourself”.  Instantly, glutes activate and the pelvic floor stabilizes the core.  Now my athletes know what the movement should feel like when done properly and, more importantly, they have the self-awareness to correct when it is done improperly.
     The point is to remember that a movement is not done properly because it looks right, but it must also feel right.  The key is not only “how” to do a movement but also “why”.  Are we hurting clients by devoting so much time to technique?- Absolutely not.  Coaches need to teach proper technique to prevent athletes from hurting themselves while training but then the focus should be on adding strength, speed, and power on top of some clean movement

No comments:

Post a Comment